Cross compilation for MPC860

Scott Wood scott at broadlink.com
Fri Sep 17 04:21:52 EST 1999

sébastien tadéoni wrote:

> During the make zImage I get the following errors:
>
> ppc_ksyms.c:71:'isa_io_base' undeclared here (not in a fonction)
>
> ppc_ksyms.c:71:'initializer element for '--ksymtab_isa_io_base.value'
> is not constant,
>
> And the same thing with the variable pci_dram_offset.
>
> Perhaps is there a configuration problem or I didn't install correctly
> the powerpc-linux environment for cross development?

Your cross-compile environment is good for building kernels.  This is a kernel
configuration issue.  I got the same isa_io_base error building on a PowerMac
(which doesn't have ISA) until I enabled SCSI support (?!?!?).  For my MPC850 build
I commented out EXPORT_SYMBOL(isa_io_base); and also isa_mem_base and pci_dram_offset
in arch/ppc/kernel/ppc_ksyms.c and I was able to successfully build a kernel without SCSI.
Note that the 2.2.5-embedded kernel compiles in ADB support whether you configured for
it or not (correct me if I'm wrong, but that has been my experience so far), so I
commented out L_OBJS and LX_OBJS in drivers/macintosh/Makefile and it builds without ADB.

> On top of that the /usr/local/powerpc_linux/include directory is empty
> so that I can't make the ln -s with the include/linux and include/asm
> directories(in my linux sources directory) before I want to build the
> LibC.

Mine is empty too, and I can build kernels fine, but I get lots of errors trying
to build anything else.  Instead of fussing with it (I don't know _why_ the builds
fail anyway) I got a PowerMac, loaded YellowDog Linux, and all is well :-)

--
|     Scott Wood      |   Systems  Engineer  |