Linux on MVME2600

Frank Smith frank.smith at amirix.com
Sat Nov 13 00:52:42 EST 1999

Frank Smith wrote:

> Does anybody know of Linux on Motorola VME cards MVME2600?  Where can I find such a beast?
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

Hi Frank Smith:

This is quite funny. We have the same name, and you want to do
what I did a couple of weeks ago.

I found a patch for the Linux kernel at Motorola:

http://services.mcg.mot.com/linux/Main/linux_welcome.cfm

It took a bit of tweaking, but I got it netbooting from
PPCBug, using an initial ramdisk. Hint: don't use the
tulip ethernet driver. I used the PReP kernel, and had
to set PPCbug to enable PReP booting.

There might be other ways to do this, but this method
worked for me.

Frank Smith

> This transmission contains information which may be confidential and
> which may also be privileged.  It is intended for the named addressee
> only.  Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it
> on behalf of the addressee you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
> to anyone else.  If you have received this transmission in error please
> contact the sender.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Frank Smith, MCompSci
Principal Software Designer      frank.smith at amirix.com
AMIRIX Systems Inc.              http://www.amirix.com/
77 Chain Lake Drive              902-450-1700 x289 (Phone)
Halifax, N.S. B3S 1E1            902-450-1704 (FAX)