linuxppc embedded boot problems.

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Thu Dec 16 16:03:34 EST 1999

Brendan Simon wrote:

> In the mbxboot directory, the code basically copies the kernel to
> 0x100000, uncompresses the kernel and then jumps to the kernel starup
> code.  I take it this is known as the "kernel loader" ?

Yeah, I guess that is a good name for it.

> This code has statements to invalidate the cache before jumping to the
> kernel. Is this the same as making sure lines are not "locked" in the
> cache ?

No.  There are a couple of cache instructions that need to
be run during processor initialization out of reset.  I don't
have a book handy, but if you look in my fadsrom code in
start.S, the instructions are there.  It is a certain sequence
of invalidates and unlocks.

> All caches are disabled at this stage so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Right.

	-- Dan