Good embedded board to start with

Mika Kuoppala mak at icon.fi
Thu Dec 9 08:17:57 EST 1999

Hello folks!

What would be a good board to purchase just to
get newbie's feet wet in this embedded ppc world ?

It should be 8xx or 82xx based board and some
of these requirements filled:

	- runs ppc linux kernel without modifying source
	  (patches are ok), from 2.2.x or from 2.3.x tree

	- some rather non-complex way of booting the device

	- possibly serial port to easen up boot debugging

	- ethernet and driver for it

	- if there is such thing as 'mainstream', the
	  more close to it this board would be, the better.

If things get much easier by buying some ppc based development
machine to compile things for the board (some mac or imac or other ppc
workstation), it is an option too.

This is just an evaluation project and we are going
to buy one board only at start. Main purpose is just to
get into embedded-ppc world and get it up and running, and
doing so gain self-confidence that ppc might be an alternative
to x86 in embedded things.

If i get it up and running, i would like to put web server
running on it, perhaps with final evaluation report on it. To
make a good demo ofcourse :) I know linux rather well on x86
side but in ppc world only thing i have currently is motivation.

Am i totally in too deep waters with this ?

Thankyou in advance !

-- Mika <miku at iki.fi>