RPXLite 823 PCMCIA troubles

Brian Kuschak bkuschak at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 15:31:28 EST 1999

Mark,

One thing to note about PCMCIA I/O region accesses on
the 823...

If the access is to a 16-bit port, the PCMCIA
controller needs to see an acknowledgement from the
card on the IOIS16_B pin.  However when the processor
is configured for debugging (full trace, etc) this pin
is unavailable.  It's muxed with some other debug
function (VFLS, I think?).  Check your settings in the
SIUMCR register.  If the core never gets this
acknowledge on the 16 bit access, it might generate a
bus error, which would show up as a machine check.

There are only two solutions for this hardware
shortcoming.  Either setup the SIUMCR to give up your
trace capability (which isn't very useful w/ virtual
memory anyway), or don't do 16-bit accesses in PCMCIA
I/O space.

Hope that helps.
-Brian Kuschak