RPXLite 823 PCMCIA troubles

Alan Mimms alan at packetengines.com
Wed Dec 1 15:24:01 EST 1999

Effectively, guarded means "don't prefetch" for code fetches.  It also means that
no speculative data fetches will be performed to a guarded space.  Speculative
data fetches occur when the processor is speculatively executing a chunk of code
as a result of a predicted branch whose condition is not yet known to be as
predicted.  Setting the guarded attribute on an area prevents such speculation.
This issue probably is nearly moot on the nearly non-superscalar (dumb as a rock)
8xx processors, but is MUCH more important (i.e., VITAL) on the 82xx processors
with the 603ish core and on all "real" PowerPC processors.

--
Alan Mimms     Packet Engines, Inc.     Spokane, Washington [99214-0497]
  USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, U0