Xorg doesn't start and some other issues with the RC1 of kernel 6.10

Thorsten Leemhuis regressions at leemhuis.info
Fri May 31 19:19:34 AEST 2024

On 31.05.24 11:03, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Michael Ellerman <mpe at ellerman.id.au> writes:
>> Christian Zigotzky <chzigotzky at xenosoft.de> writes:

>>> I tested the RC1 in a virtual e5500 QEMU PowerPC machine with Bochs VGA
>>> (-device VGA,vgamem_mb=256) and Xorg doesn't start either.
>>>
>>> Error message: xf86OpenConsole: KDSETMODE KD_GRAPHICS failed
>>> Inappropriate ioctl for device.
>>
>> That is presumably because of this:
>>   https://lore.kernel.org/all/0da9785e-ba44-4718-9d08-4e96c1ba7ab2@kernel.org/
>
> Attempting to regzbot this.
>
> #regzbot introduced: 8c467f330059
> #regzbot monitor: https://lore.kernel.org/all/0da9785e-ba44-4718-9d08-4e96c1ba7ab2@kernel.org/

Thx, I already had an eye on this, but thought tracking would not be
needed, as Greg (now CCed) wanted to revert 8c467f3300591a ("VT: Use
macros to define ioctls") two days ago:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/2024052901-police-trash-e9f9@gregkh/

But that commit is not yet in -next afaics. :-/

/me meanwhile wonders if it would be wise to fix this before -rc2

Ciao, Thorsten