kswapd0: page allocation failure: order:0, mode:0x820(GFP_ATOMIC), nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0 (Kernel v6.5.9, 32bit ppc)

Erhard Furtner erhard_f at mailbox.org
Tue Jun 4 21:44:58 AEST 2024

On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 16:24:02 -0700
Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed at google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for bisecting. Taking a look at the thread, it seems like you
> have a very limited area of memory to allocate kernel memory from. One
> possible reason why that commit can cause an issue is because we will
> have multiple instances of the zsmalloc slab caches 'zspage' and
> 'zs_handle', which may contribute to fragmentation in slab memory.
>
> Do you have /proc/slabinfo from a good and a bad run by any chance?
>
> Also, could you check if the attached patch helps? It makes sure that
> even when we use multiple zsmalloc zpools, we will use a single slab
> cache of each type.

Thanks for looking into this! I got you 'cat /proc/slabinfo' from a good HEAD, from a bad HEAD and from the bad HEAD + your patch applied.

Good was 6be3601517d90b728095d70c14f3a04b9adcb166, bad was b8cf32dc6e8c75b712cbf638e0fd210101c22f17 which I got both from my bisect.log. I got the slabinfo shortly after boot and a 2nd time shortly before the OOM or the kswapd0: page allocation failure happens. I terminated the workload (stress-ng --vm 2 --vm-bytes 1930M --verify -v) manually shortly before the 2 GiB RAM exhausted and got the slabinfo then.

The patch applied to git b8cf32dc6e8c75b712cbf638e0fd210101c22f17 unfortunately didn't make a difference, I got the kswapd0: page allocation failure nevertheless.

Regards,
Erhard