Boot failure with ppc64 port on iMacs G5

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 20 20:16:23 AEDT 2024

Hello,

On Tue, 2024-02-20 at 04:16 +0100, tuxayo wrote:
> I tried snapshots/2024-01-31/debian-12.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso
>
> And was able to start booting from usb with:
> boot usb0/disk at 1:,\boot\grub\powerpc.elf
> (typed in Open Firmware shell)
> (usb0 is the top port)
>
> Grub worked, and then I tried default install (the 1st option) and it
> started loading during like 2 minutes.
> And then it got stuck with some superposition of the messages
> smp_core99_probe
> and
> the stuff before
> DO-QUIESCE finisedBooting Linux via __start() @ 0x0000000002090000 ...

There seems to be a regression in the kernel which affects PowerPC 970 machines,
i.e. PowerMac G5 CPUs. The issue needs to be bisected and reported upstream.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate if you could test the various
snapshots and let me know which kernel is the first to not work. I expect that
the breakage occurred somewhere around kernel 6.3 or so.

CC'ing Claudia Neumann who observed this bug before and can maybe share some
additional information.

> Full message of the two iMacs G5 ↓↓↓
> https://transfert.facil.services/r/Ksfq_2VM9_#tDATBcLXzB0zkAEaiqm9gfLfsaXliVJ13rQxKUHgUmA=
> https://transfert.facil.services/r/Zs1h1jEtb2#jufjxv6+1DfHnO3TSfhmYD+teOvY46sGClHyz7SiXd4=