a possible issue with radix MMU on P9

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Thu May 11 17:55:58 AEST 2023

Hi all,

we have been struggling with an issue in the bdwgc project (garbage
collector) on P9 systems for a while [1]. There were some test failing
on P9, but not on P8 or other platforms (x86, s390x, aarch64). Recently
the upstream developer has found out there is likely a problem in the
kernel memory mgmt [2], there is a reproduction scenario included. I
have rechecked the original code on P9 with hash MMU and it worked. Thus
I believe there is a problem in the radix MMU code on Power, where it
behaves differently. My testing was using Fedora, which means recent
kernels up to 6.4-rc1.

[1] https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/issues/479
[2] https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/issues/479#issuecomment-1535274481

	Thanks,