ia64 removal (was: Re: lockref scalability on x86-64 vs cpu_relax)

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 16 20:37:24 AEDT 2023

On 1/14/23 12:24, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> Example #1: binutils packages
>
> Checking available binutils package for Debian/unstable IA64 (version:
> 2.39.90.20230110-1):
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/binutils <--- Clearly states IA64 as
> "unofficial port"

And?

> https://packages.debian.org/sid/ia64/binutils/filelist
>
> Example #2: linux-image packages
>
> Cannot say what this means...
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=amd64&keywords=linux-image
> (AMD64 - matches)
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=ia64&keywords=linux-image
> (IA64 - no matches)
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=ia64&keywords=linux (IA64 -
> matches - but no linux-image which ships normally a bootable
> Linux-kernel)

No, the package is called "linux-image-$ARCH-$FLAVOR". There is no "linux-image"
package for amd64 either. Does that prove amd64 is dead?

What you are looking for can be found here:

> http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-ia64/main/l/linux/

> As stated I have no expertise in Debian whatever release for IA64 arch.

Well, maybe let me answer the questions then since I am maintaining the port
in Debian.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz