lockref scalability on x86-64 vs cpu_relax

Peter Zijlstra peterz at infradead.org
Fri Jan 13 21:23:45 AEDT 2023

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 06:13:16PM -0600, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 5:36 PM Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > To my understanding on said architecture failed cmpxchg still grants you
> > exclusive access to the cacheline, making immediate retry preferable
> > when trying to inc/dec unless a certain value is found.
>
> I actually suspect that is _always_ the case - this is not like a
> contended spinlock where we want to pause because we're waiting for
> the value to change and become unlocked, this cmpxchg loop is likely
> always better off just retrying with the new value.
>
> That said, the "likely always better off" is purely about performance.
>
> So I have this suspicion that the reason Tony added the cpu_relax()
> was simply not about performance, but about other issues, like
> fairness in SMT situations.
>
> That said, evern from a fairness perspective the cpu_relax() sounds a
> bit odd and unlikely - we're literally yielding when we lost a race,
> so it hurts the _loser_, not the winner, and thus might make fairness
> worse too.

I've been writing cmpxchg loops that have strict termination conditions
without cpu_relax() in them for a while now.

For example, the x86 atomic_fetch_and() implementation looks like so:

static __always_inline int arch_atomic_fetch_and(int i, atomic_t *v)
{
	int val = arch_atomic_read(v);

	do { } while (!arch_atomic_try_cmpxchg(v, &val, val & i));

	return val;
}

And I did that because of the exact same argument you had above, it
needs to do the op anyway, waiting between failed attempts will only
increase the chance it will fail again.