lockref scalability on x86-64 vs cpu_relax

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jan 13 15:08:48 AEDT 2023

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 7:12 PM Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not want to make such a change without redoing the ThunderX2
> benchmark, or at least something else arm64-y. I may be able to bench it
> tomorrow on whatever arm-y stuff can be found on Amazon's EC2, assuming
> no arm64 people show up with their results.

I don't think ThunderX2 itself is particularly interesting, but sure,
it would be good to have numbers for some modern arm64 cores.

The newer Amazon EC2 cores (Graviton 2/3) sound more relevant (or
Ampere?)  The more different architecture numbers we'd have for that
"remove cpu_relax()", the better.

                   Linus