[RFC] Objtool toolchain proposal: -fannotate-{jump-table,noreturn}

Chen Zhongjin chenzhongjin at huawei.com
Thu Sep 15 12:56:58 AEST 2022

Hi,

On 2022/9/12 22:17, Michael Matz wrote:
> [...]
> This won't work for indirect calls to noreturn functions:
>
>    void (* __attribute__((noreturn)) noretptr)(void);
>    int callnoret (int i)
>    {
>      noretptr();
>      return i + 32;
>    }
>
> The return statement is unreachable (and removed by GCC).  To know that
> you would have to mark the call statements, not the individual functions.
> All schemes that mark functions that somehow indicates a meaningful
> difference in the calling sequence (e.g. the ABI of functions) have the
> same problem: it's part of the call expressions type, not of individual
> decls.
>
> Second problem: it's not extensible.  Today it's noreturn functions you
> want to know, and tomorrow?  So, add a flag word per entry, define bit 0
> for now to be NORETURN, and see what comes.  Add a header with a version
> (and/or identifier) as well and it's properly extensible.  For easy
> linking and identifying the blobs in the linked result include a length in
> the header.  If this were in an allocated section it would be a good idea
> to refer to the symbols in a PC-relative manner, so as to not result in
> runtime relocations.  In this case, as it's within a non-alloc section
> that doesn't matter.  So:
>
> .section .annotate.functions
> .long 1       # version
> .long 0xcafe  # ident
> .long 2f-1f   # length
> 1:
> .quad func1, 1   # noreturn
> .quad func2, 1   # noreturn
> .quad func3, 32  # something_else_but_not_noreturn
> 2:
> .long 1b-2b   # align and "checksum"
>
> It might be that the length-and-header scheme is cumbersome if you need to
> write those section commands by hand, in which case another scheme might
> be preferrable, but it should somehow be self-delimiting.
>
> For the above problem of indirect calls to noreturns, instead do:
>
>    .text
>    noretcalllabel:
>      call noreturn
>    othercall:
>      call really_special_thing
>    .section .annotate.noretcalls
>    .quad noretcalllabel, 1  # noreturn call
>    .quad othercall, 32      # call to some special(-ABI?) function
>
> Same thoughts re extensibility and self-delimitation apply.
>
> 1) jump tables
>
>>> Create an .annotate.jump_table section which is an array of the
>>> following variable-length structure:
>>>
>>>    struct annotate_jump_table {
>>> 	void *indirect_jmp;
>>> 	long num_targets;
>>> 	void *targets[];
>>>    };
> It's very often the case that the compiler already emits what your
> .targets[] member would encode, just at some unknown place, length and
> encoding.  So you would save space if you instead only remember the
> encoding and places of those jump tables:

We have found some anonymous information on x86 in .rodata.

I'm not sure if those are *all* of Josh wanted on x86, however for arm64
we did not found that in the same section so it is a problem on arm64 now.

Does the compiler will emit these for all arches? At lease I tried and
didn't find anything meaningful (maybe I omitted it).

Best,

Chen