[RFC] Objtool toolchain proposal: -fannotate-{jump-table,noreturn}

Josh Poimboeuf jpoimboe at kernel.org
Wed Sep 14 10:04:16 AEST 2022

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 02:17:36PM +0000, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hey,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking at this.

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022, Borislav Petkov wrote:
>
> > Micha, any opinions on the below are appreciated.
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 11:07:04AM -0700, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
>
> > > difficult to ensure correctness.  Also, due to kernel live patching, the
> > > kernel relies on 100% correctness of unwinding metadata, whereas the
> > > toolchain treats it as a best effort.
>
> Unwinding certainly is not best effort.  It's 100% reliable as far as the
> source language or compilation options require.  But as it doesn't
> touch the discussed features I won't belabor that point.

Ok, maybe I had the wrong impression about the reliability of DWARF.

> I will mention that objtool's existence is based on mistrust, of persons
> (not correctly annotating stuff) and of tools (not correctly heeding those
> annotations).  The mistrust in persons is understandable and can be dealt
> with by tools, but the mistrust in tools can't be fixed by making tools
> more complicated by emitting even more information; there's no good reason
> to assume that one piece of info can be trusted more than other pieces.
> So, if you mistrust the tools you have already lost.  That's somewhat
> philosophical, so I won't beat that horse much more either.

Maybe this is semantics, but I wouldn't characterize objtool's existence
as being based on the mistrust of tools.  It's main motivation is to
fill in the toolchain's blind spots in asm and inline-asm, which exist
by design.

(Objtool has actually found many compiler bugs, but that's a side
benefit and not its reason for existence.)

I understand the concern about trusting one piece of info more than
others, but we have to trust the toolchain.  Also, objtool does a lot of
consistency checks, and experience shows that if there's a bug in the
existing jump table or noreturn detection logic, it almost always
quickly surfaces as an objtool warning: unreachable instruction, stack
state mismatch, falling through the end of a function, etc.

> Now, recovering the CFG.  I'll switch order of your two items:
>
> 2) noreturn function
>
> > >   .pushsection .annotate.noreturn
> > >     .quad func1
> > >     .quad func2
> > >     .quad func3
> > >   .popsection
>
> This won't work for indirect calls to noreturn functions:
>
>   void (* __attribute__((noreturn)) noretptr)(void);
>   int callnoret (int i)
>   {
>     noretptr();
>     return i + 32;
>   }
>
> The return statement is unreachable (and removed by GCC).  To know that
> you would have to mark the call statements, not the individual functions.
> All schemes that mark functions that somehow indicates a meaningful
> difference in the calling sequence (e.g. the ABI of functions) have the
> same problem: it's part of the call expressions type, not of individual
> decls.
>
> Second problem: it's not extensible.  Today it's noreturn functions you
> want to know, and tomorrow?  So, add a flag word per entry, define bit 0
> for now to be NORETURN, and see what comes.  Add a header with a version
> (and/or identifier) as well and it's properly extensible.  For easy
> linking and identifying the blobs in the linked result include a length in
> the header.  If this were in an allocated section it would be a good idea
> to refer to the symbols in a PC-relative manner, so as to not result in
> runtime relocations.  In this case, as it's within a non-alloc section
> that doesn't matter.  So:
>
> .section .annotate.functions
> .long 1       # version
> .long 0xcafe  # ident
> .long 2f-1f   # length
> 1:
> .quad func1, 1   # noreturn
> .quad func2, 1   # noreturn
> .quad func3, 32  # something_else_but_not_noreturn
> 2:
> .long 1b-2b   # align and "checksum"
>
> It might be that the length-and-header scheme is cumbersome if you need to
> write those section commands by hand, in which case another scheme might
> be preferrable, but it should somehow be self-delimiting.
>
> For the above problem of indirect calls to noreturns, instead do:
>
>   .text
>   noretcalllabel:
>     call noreturn
>   othercall:
>     call really_special_thing
>   .section .annotate.noretcalls
>   .quad noretcalllabel, 1  # noreturn call
>   .quad othercall, 32      # call to some special(-ABI?) function
>
> Same thoughts re extensibility and self-delimitation apply.

Hm, I didn't know noreturn function pointers were a thing.  Annotating
the call site instead of the function would be fine.

I'm thinking PC-relative relocs are a good idea regardless, it makes the
binary smaller even if the section isn't allocatable.

As far as extending goes, I had been thinking future annotation types
would just go in new sections, e.g. .annotate.retpolinecalls, each
section with its own format.  And that has the benefit of being a
simpler and easier to parse format (no headers, versions, lengths, etc).
But either way is fine I think.

> 1) jump tables
>
> > > Create an .annotate.jump_table section which is an array of the
> > > following variable-length structure:
> > >
> > >   struct annotate_jump_table {
> > > 	void *indirect_jmp;
> > > 	long num_targets;
> > > 	void *targets[];
> > >   };
>
> It's very often the case that the compiler already emits what your
> .targets[] member would encode, just at some unknown place, length and
> encoding.  So you would save space if you instead only remember the
> encoding and places of those jump tables:
>
> struct {
>   void *indirect_jump;
>   long num_tables;
>   struct {
>     unsigned num_entries;
>     unsigned encoding;
>     void *start_of_table;
>   } tables[];
> };
>
> The usual encodings are: direct, PC-relative, relative-to-start-of-table.
> Usually for a specific jump instruction there's only one table, so
> optimizing for that makes sense.  For strange unthought-of cases it's
> probably a good idea to have your initial scheme as fallback, which could
> be indicated by a special .encoding value.
>
> > > For example, given the following switch statement code:
> > >
> > >   .Lswitch_jmp:
> > > 	// %rax is .Lcase_1 or .Lcase_2
> > > 	jmp %rax
>
> So, usually %rax would point into a table (somewhere in .rodata/.text)
> that looks like so:
>
> .Ljump_table:
>  .quad .Lcase_1 - .Ljump_table
>  .quad .Lcase_2 - .Ljump_table
>
> (for position-independend code)
>
> and hence you would emit this as annotation:
>
> .quad .Lswitch_jmp
> .quad 1                   # only a single table
> .long 2                   # with two entries
> .long RELATIVE_TO_START   # all entries are X - start_of_table
> .quad .Ljump_table
>
> In this case you won't save anything of course, but as soon as there's a
> meaningful number of cases you will.

As a user of the data, I would prefer a simpler format (something like
my original scheme) which uses more space, rather than needing headers,
fallback scheme, encodings, blob lengths, etc just to save some
non-allocatable bytes.  But the above seems fine.

--
Josh