State of RFC PATCH Remove CONFIG_DCACHE_WORD_ACCESS

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:46:32 AEST 2022

Hi Joe, hi Ben,

While reviewing some kernel config, I came across
CONFIG_DCACHE_WORD_ACCESS and tried to understand its purpose.

Then, I discovered this RFC patch from 2014 that seems never to have
been integrated:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/1393964591.20435.58.camel@joe-AO722/
[RFC] Remove CONFIG_DCACHE_WORD_ACCESS

The discussion seemed to just not continue and the patch was just not
integrated by anyone.

In the meantime, the use of CONFIG_DCACHE_WORD_ACCESS has spread into
a few more files, but replacing it with
CONFIG_HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS still seems feasible.

Are you aware of reasons that this patch from 2014 should not be integrated?

I would spend some time to move the integration of this patch further
if you consider that the patch is not completely wrong.

Best regards,

Lukas