sched/debug: CPU hotplug operation suffers in a large cpu systems

Vishal Chourasia vishalc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 26 17:37:01 AEDT 2022

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 01:04:40PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> Why do you need to?  What tools require these debugfs files to be
> present?

We are not entirely sure what applications (if any) might be using this interface.

> And if you only have 7-8 files per CPU, that does not seem like a lot of
> files overall (14000-16000)?  If you only offline 1 cpu, how is removing
> 7 or 8 files a bottleneck?  Do you really offline 1999 cpus for a 2k
> system?

It's 7-8 files per domain per cpu, so, in a system with approx 2k cpus and five
domains, the total file count goes above 70k-80k files. And, when we offline 1
CPU, the entire directory is rebuilt, resulting in creation of all the files
again.

Thanks

-- vishal.c