Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1

Christian Zigotzky chzigotzky at xenosoft.de
Sat Oct 15 03:11:21 AEDT 2022

Hi All,

make oldconfig has asked because of the CPU family. I choosed GENERIC for my P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M. Is this correct? Maybe this is the problem.

config GENERIC_CPU
-	bool "Generic (POWER4 and above)"
+	bool "Generic (POWER5 and PowerPC 970 and above)"
 	depends on PPC_BOOK3S_64 && !CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN
 	select PPC_64S_HASH_MMU

There isn’t a POWER4 anymore and I used it via CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y before.

Before the first PowerPC updates:
CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
# CONFIG_POWER5_CPU is not set

Link: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/powerpc/platforms/Kconfig.cputype