[GIT PULL] Please pull powerpc/linux.git powerpc-6.1-4 tag

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Nov 4 04:44:12 AEDT 2022

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 7:09 PM Michael Ellerman <mpe at ellerman.id.au> wrote:

>  - Fix an endian thinko in the asm-generic compat_arg_u64() which led to syscall arguments
>    being swapped for some compat syscalls.

Am I mis-reading this, or did this bug (introduced in this merge
window by commit 43d5de2b67d7 "asm-generic: compat: Support BE for
long long args in 32-bit ABIs") break *every* architecture?

And people just didn't scream, because 32-bit code has just become so rare?

Or is it just because those compat macros are effectively not used
elsewhere, and x86 has its own versions? Looks like possibly mainly
RISC-V?

Side note: why is it doing

        #ifndef compat_arg_u64

at all? That macro is not actually defined anywhere else, so that
#ifdef seems to be just confused.

                 Linus