[RFC v2 01/39] Kconfig: introduce HAS_IOPORT option and select it as necessary

Niklas Schnelle schnelle at linux.ibm.com
Fri May 6 21:18:51 AEST 2022

On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 19:12 +1000, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2022, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > > No, this is actually the current situation, and it makes absolutely no
> > > sense. s390 has no way of implementing inb()/outb() because there
> > > are no instructions for it and it cannot tunnel them through a virtual
> > > address mapping like on most of the other architectures. (it has special
> > > instructions for accessing memory space, which is not the same as
> > > a pointer dereference here).
> > >
> > > The existing implementation gets flagged as a NULL pointer dereference
> > > by a compiler warning because it effectively is.
> >
> > I think s390 currently uses the inb() in asm-generic/io.h, i.e.,
> > "__raw_readb(PCI_IOBASE + addr)".  I understand that's a NULL pointer
> > dereference because the default PCI_IOBASE is 0.
> >
> > I mooted a s390 inb() implementation like "return ~0" because that's
> > what happens on most arches when there's no device to respond to the
> > inb().
> >
> > The HAS_IOPORT dependencies are fairly ugly IMHO, and they clutter
> > drivers that use I/O ports in some cases but not others.  But maybe
> > it's the most practical way.
> >

> Do you mean, "the most practical way to avoid a compiler warning on s390"?
> What about "#pragma GCC diagnostic ignored"?

This actually happens with clang. Apart from that, I think this would
also fall under the same argument as the original patch Linus unpulled.
We would just paint over someting that we know at compile time won't
work:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wg80je=K7madF4e7WrRNp37e3qh6y10Svhdc7O8SZ_-8g@mail.gmail.com/