[EXT] Re: bnx2x: ppc64le: Unable to set message level greater than 0x7fff

Jakub Kicinski kuba at kernel.org
Thu Mar 17 05:17:54 AEDT 2022

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:49:39 +0000 Manish Chopra wrote:
> As ethtool over netlink has some limitations of the size,
> I believe you can configure ethtool with "--disable-netlink" and set those message levels fine

Yup, IIUC it works for Paul on a 5.17 system, that system likely has
old ethtool user space tool which uses ioctls instead of netlink.

What makes the netlink path somewhat non-trivial is that there is
an expectation that the communication can be based on names (strings)
as well as bit positions. I think we'd need a complete parallel
attribute to carry vendor specific bits :S