[BUG] mtd: cfi_cmdset_0002: write regression since v4.17-rc1

Ahmad Fatoum a.fatoum at pengutronix.de
Wed Mar 9 03:23:32 AEDT 2022

Hello Tokunori-san,

On 08.03.22 17:13, Tokunori Ikegami wrote:
> Hi Ahmad-san,
>
> On 2022/03/08 18:44, Ahmad Fatoum wrote:
>> Hello Tokunori,
>>
>> On 06.03.22 16:49, Tokunori Ikegami wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Thanks for your support.
>>> Sorry if possible could you please retest the attached the patch again since this fixed the version 1 patch maintainer review comments?
>> Works good.
>>
>> Tested-by: Ahmad Fatoum <a.fatoum at pengutronix.de>
> Thank you so much for your test.

>>> I see.
>>> Noted but still I am thinking the version 2 patch to check 0xff seems better than to use chip_ready() so let me consider this again later.
>> The original version has less room for surprise as it restores previously
>> working behavior. Assuming 0xFF to be good without backing from documentation
>> is more risky IMO.
> The change to check 0xFF can be limited for the S29GL064N chip do you have any comment about this?

I see that, but I am not sure it's the correct thing to do on the S29GL064N,
even if it seems to work. In absence of definitive information from the vendor,
I'd prefer we just restore behavior as it was before, i.e. using chip_ready
instead of chip_good for S29GL064N. This is the way of least surprise.