[BUG] mtd: cfi_cmdset_0002: write regression since v4.17-rc1

Ahmad Fatoum a.fatoum at pengutronix.de
Fri Jan 28 23:55:55 AEDT 2022

Hello Tokunori-san,

On 15.12.21 18:34, Tokunori Ikegami wrote:
> Hi Ahmad-san,

Thanks for your reply (and Thorsten for the reminder) and sorry for
the delay. I had a lot of backlog after my time off.

> Sorry for the regression issue by the change: dfeae1073583.
> To make sure could you please try with the word write instead of the buffered writes?

The issue is still there with #define FORCE_WORD_WRITE 1:

  jffs2: Write clean marker to block at 0x000a0000 failed: -5
  MTD do_write_oneword_once(): software timeout

> FYI: There are some changes to disable the buffered writes as below.
>   1. https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=target/linux/ar71xx/patches-4.9/411-mtd-cfi_cmdset_0002-force-word-write.patch;h=ddd69f17e1ac16e8fc3a694c56231fee1e2ef149;hb=fec8fe806963c96a6506c2aebc3572d3a11f285f
>   2. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c?h=v5.16-rc5&id=7e4404113686868858a34210c28ae122e967aa64
>
> Note:
>   Currently I am not able to investigate the issue on the product for the change before.
>
>   By the way in the past I had investigated the similar issue on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH using the S29GL256N.
>   It was not able to find the root cause by the investigation since not required actually at that time.
>   Also actually the buffered writes were disabled on the OpenWrt firmware as the change [1] above.
>   But I am not sure the reason detail to disable the buffered writes on the OpenWrt firmware.
>   I thought the issue not caused by the change: dfeae1073583 since the issue happened without the change.
>
>   So I am not sure why the above change [2] needed to disable the buffered writes on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.
>   Probably seems needed to disable the buffered writes on the other firmware also but not OpenWrt firmware.
>
>   Anyway there are difference with your regression issue as below.
>     1. Flash device: S29GL064N (Your regression issue), S29GL256N (WZR-HP-G300NH)
>     2. Regression issue: Yes (Your regression issue), No (WZR-HP-G300NH as I investigated before)

Doesn't seem to be a buffered write issue here though as the writes
did work fine before dfeae1073583. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Ahmad