Linux kernel: powerpc: KVM guest can trigger host crash on Power8

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 13 11:17:01 AEDT 2022

Hi Michael!

> On 1/7/22 12:20, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> Can you separately test with (on the host):
>>>
>>>  # echo 0 > /sys/module/kvm_hv/parameters/dynamic_mt_modes
>>
>> I'm trying to turn off "dynamic_mt_modes" first and see if that makes any difference.
>>
>> I will report back.
>
> So far the machine is running stable now and the VM built gcc-9 without
> crashing the host. I will continue to monitor the machine and report back
> if it crashes, but it looks like this could be it.

So, it seems that setting "dynamic_mt_modes" actually did the trick, the host is no longer
crashing. However, I have observed on two occasions now that the build VM is just suddenly
off as if someone has shut it down using the "force-off" option in the virt-manager user
interface.

Not sure why that happens.

Adrian

--