[RFC] Remove DECNET support from kernel

David Laight David.Laight at ACULAB.COM
Mon Aug 1 18:37:03 AEST 2022

From: Stephen Hemminger
> Sent: 31 July 2022 20:06
> To: netdev at vger.kernel.org
>
> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
> history museum not in Linux kernel.
>
> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.

It was pretty much obsolete when I was writing ethernet drivers
in the early 1990's.
Sort of surprising support ever got into Linux in the first place!

Remember it requires the ethernet MAC address be set to a
locally assigned value that is the machine's 'node number'.

Does this remove some/most/all of the [gs]et_sockopt() calls
where the length is ignored/

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)