serial hang in qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Apr 26 20:26:01 AEST 2022

When I cut and paste 80-ish characters of text into the Linux serial console, it
reads 16 characters and stops. When I hit space, it reads another 16 characters,
and if I keep at it will eventually catch up without losing data. If I type,
every character shows up immediately.

(On other qemu targets and kernels I can cut and paste an entire uuencoded
binary and it goes through just fine in one go, but this target hangs with big
pastes until I hit keys.)

Is this a qemu-side bug, or a kernel-side bug?

Kernel config attached (linux 5.18-rc3 or thereabouts), qemu invocation is:

qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries -vga none -nographic -no-reboot -m 256 -kernel
vmlinux -initrd powerpc64leroot.cpio.gz -append "panic=1 HOST=powerpc64le
console=hvc0"

Rob