rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at kernel.org
Mon Apr 11 13:05:53 AEST 2022

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:33:43PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Zhouyi Zhou <zhouzhouyi at gmail.com> writes:

> > After 306 rounds of stress test on mainline without triggering the bug
> > (last for 4 hours and 27 minutes), I think the bug is indeed caused by
> > 35de589cb879 ("powerpc/time: improve decrementer clockevent
> > processing") and stop the test for now.
>
> Thanks for testing, that's pretty conclusive.
>
> I'm not inclined to actually revert it yet.
>
> We need to understand if there's actually a bug in the patch, or if it's
> just exposing some existing bug/bad behavior we have. The fact that it
> only appears with CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=n is suspicious.
>
> Do we have some code that inadvertently relies on something enabled by
> HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y, or do we have a bug that is hidden by HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y ?

For whatever it is worth, moderate rcutorture runs to completion without
errors with CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=n on 64-bit x86.

Also for whatever it is worth, I don't know of anything other than
microcontrollers or the larger IoT devices that would want their kernels
built with CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=n.  Which might be a failure of
imagination on my part, but so it goes.

							Thanx, Paul