linux-next: build failure after merge of the origin tree

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Sep 14 12:03:31 AEST 2021

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Linus Torvalds

> Anyway, that just makes me think that something like that patch in my
> previous email is the way to go, but I would like to stress (again)
> how little testing it had: exactly none.
>
> So please consider that nothing more than a hand-wavy "something like this".

The alternative would be to just add a

  #ifndef __ASSEMBLY__
  #endif

around the whole thing. I could do that without asking for help from
the powerpc people.

But it really does seem kind of wrong to include a "compiler
attributes" header file to compile a *.S file. It's not like any of
those attributes are valid in asm anyway.

I did just verify that the patch I sent out seems to cross-compile ok.
At least for the power64 defconfig.

So that's _some_ testing, and implies that the patch isn't complete garbage.

          Linus