Build regressions/improvements in v5.16-rc1

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Nov 17 19:24:12 AEDT 2021

Hi Nick,

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 3:20 AM Nick Terrell <terrelln at fb.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 16, 2021, at 6:05 PM, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at infradead.org> wrote:
> > On 11/16/21 5:59 PM, Nick Terrell wrote:
> >> I’ll send the PR to Linus tomorrow. I’ve been informed that it
> >> isn't strictly necessary to send the patches to the mailing list
> >> for bug fixes, but its already done, so I’ll wait and see if there
> >> is any feedback.
> >
> > IMO several (or many more) people would disagree with that.
> >
> > "strictly?"  OK, it's probably possible that almost any patch
> > could be merged without being on a mailing list, but it's not
> > desirable (except in the case of "security" patches).
>
> Good to know! Thanks for the advice, I wasn’t really sure what
> the best practice is for sending patches to your own tree, as I
> didn't see anything about it in the maintainer guide.

All patches must be sent to public mailing lists for review.
You might get away with not doing that for a simple and trivial fix,
but be prepared to end up on people's "special" lists if you did get
it wrong.

We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds