[PASEMI] Nemo board doesn't recognize any ATA disks with the pci-v5.16 updates

Christian Zigotzky chzigotzky at xenosoft.de
Thu Nov 11 16:24:52 AEDT 2021

On 10 November 2021 at 08:09 pm, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> HI all,
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:41:06 +0000,
> Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas at kernel.org> wrote:

>>> updates [2].

>>> compiling, the kernel recognize all ATA disks correctly.

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your nice responses.
>>>
>>> I bisected today [1]. 0412841812265734c306ba5ef8088bcb64d5d3bd (of/irq:
>>> Allow matching of an interrupt-map local to an interrupt controller) [2] is
>>> the first bad commit.
>>>
>>> I was able to revert the first bad commit [1]. After a new compiling, the
>>> kernel detects all ATA disks without any problems.
>>>
>>> I created a patch for an easy reverting the bad commit [1]. With this patch
>>> we can do further our kernel tests.
>>>
>>> Could you please check the first bad commit [2]?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> [1] https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=54398#p54398
>>> [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=0412841812265734c306ba5ef8088bcb64d5d3bd
>>>
>>> [+ Marc Zyngier, Alyssa Rosenzweig, Lorenzo Pieralisi, and Rob Herring
>>> because of the first bad commit]
>> Thank you very much for the bisection and for also testing the revert!
>>
>> It's easy enough to revert 041284181226 ("of/irq: Allow matching of an
>> interrupt-map local to an interrupt controller"), and it seems like
>> that's what we need to do.  I have it tentatively queued up.
>>
>> That commit was part of the new support for the Apple M1 PCIe
>> interface, and I don't know what effect a revert will have on that
>> support.  Marc, Alyssa?
> It is going to badly break the M1 support, as we won't be able to take
> interrupts to detect that the PCIe link is up.
>
> Before we apply a full blown revert and decide that this isn't
> workable (and revert the whole M1 PCIe series, because they are
> otherwise somewhat pointless), I'd like to understand *what* breaks
> exactly.
>
> Christian, could you point me to the full DT that this machine uses?
> This would help understanding what goes wrong, and cook something for
> you to test.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	M.

Hello Marc,

Here you are:
https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=54406#p54406

We are very happy to have the patch for reverting the bad commit because
we want to test the new PASEMI i2c driver with support for the Apple M1
[1] on our Nemo boards.

Thanks for your help,
Christian

[1] https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=54086#p54086