[PASEMI] Nemo board doesn't recognize any ATA disks with the pci-v5.16 updates

Krzysztof Wilczyński kw at linux.com
Wed Nov 10 09:40:07 AEDT 2021

[+CC Adding Jens and Damien to get their opinion about the problem at hand]

Hello Jens and Damien,

Sorry to bother both of you, but we are having a problem that most
definitely requires someone with an extensive expertise in storage,
as per the quoted message from Christian below:

> > > The Nemo board [1] doesn't recognize any ATA disks with the pci-v5.16
> > > updates [2].
> > >
> > > Error messages:
> > >
> > > ata4.00: gc timeout cmd 0xec
> > > ata4.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, error_mask=0x4)
> > > ata1.00: gc timeout cmd 0xec
> > > ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, error_mask=0x4)
> > > ata3.00: gc timeout cmd 0xec
> > > ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, error_mask=0x4)

The error message is also not very detailed and we aren't really sure what
the issue coming from the PCI sub-system might be causing or leading to
this.

> > > I was able to revert the new pci-v5.16 updates [2]. After a new compiling,
> > > the kernel recognize all ATA disks correctly.
> > >
> > > Could you please check the pci-v5.16 updates [2]?
> > >
> > > Please find attached the kernel config.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Christian
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
> > > [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=0c5c62ddf88c34bc83b66e4ac9beb2bb0e1887d4
>
> Sorry for the breakage, and thank you very much for the report.  Can
> you please collect the complete dmesg logs before and after the
> pci-v5.16 changes and the "sudo lspci -vv" output from before the
> changes?
>
> You can attach them at https://bugzilla.kernel.org if you don't have
> a better place to put them.
>
> You could attach the kernel config there, too, since it didn't make it
> to the mailing list (vger may discard them -- see
> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html).

Bjorn and I looked at which commits that went with a recent Pull Request
from us might be causing this, but we are a little bit at loss, and were
hoping that you could give us a hand in troubleshooting this.

Thank you in advance!

	Krzysztof