Linux powerpc new system call instruction and ABI

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Wed May 19 20:59:05 AEST 2021

Excerpts from Dmitry V. Levin's message of May 19, 2021 8:24 pm:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:50:24PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> [...]
>> With this patch, I think the ptrace ABI should mostly be fixed. I think
>> a problem remains with applications that look at system call return
>> registers directly and have powerpc specific error cases. Those probably
>> will just need to be updated unfortunately. Michael thought it might be
>> possible to return an indication via ptrace somehow that the syscall is
>> using a new ABI, so such apps can be updated to test for it. I don't
>> know how that would be done.
>
> Is there any sane way for these applications to handle the scv case?
> How can they tell that the scv semantics is being used for the given
> syscall invocation?  Can this information be obtained e.g. from struct
> pt_regs?

Not that I know of. Michael suggested there might be a way to add
something. ptrace_syscall_info has some pad bytes, could
we use one for flags bits and set a bit for "new system call ABI"?

As a more hacky thing you could make a syscall with -1 and see how
the error looks, and then assume all syscalls will be the same.

Thanks,
Nick