[PATCH v12 2/8] powerpc/lib/code-patching: Set up Strict RWX patching earlier
jniethe5 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:34:43 AEST 2021
setup_text_poke_area() is a late init call so it runs before
mark_rodata_ro() and after the init calls. This lets all the init code
patching simply write to their locations. In the future, kprobes is
going to allocate its instruction pages RO which means they will need
setup_text__poke_area() to have been already called for their code
patching. However, init_kprobes() (which allocates and patches some
instruction pages) is an early init call so it happens before
start_kernel() calls poking_init() before any of the init calls. On
powerpc, poking_init() is currently a nop. setup_text_poke_area() relies
on kernel virtual memory, cpu hotplug and per_cpu_areas being setup.
setup_per_cpu_areas(), boot_cpu_hotplug_init() and mm_init() are called
Turn setup_text_poke_area() into poking_init().
Reviewed-by: Russell Currey <ruscur at russell.cc>
Signed-off-by: Jordan Niethe <jniethe5 at gmail.com>
v9: New to series
arch/powerpc/lib/code-patching.c | 12 ++++--------
1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)
diff --git a/arch/powerpc/lib/code-patching.c b/arch/powerpc/lib/code-patching.c
index 870b30d9be2f..15296207e1ba 100644
@@ -70,14 +70,11 @@ static int text_area_cpu_down(unsigned int cpu)
- * Run as a late init call. This allows all the boot time patching to be done
- * simply by patching the code, and then we're called here prior to
- * mark_rodata_ro(), which happens after all init calls are run. Although
- * BUG_ON() is rude, in this case it should only happen if ENOMEM, and we judge
- * it as being preferable to a kernel that will crash later when someone tries
- * to use patch_instruction().
+ * Although BUG_ON() is rude, in this case it should only happen if ENOMEM, and
+ * we judge it as being preferable to a kernel that will crash later when
+ * someone tries to use patch_instruction().
-static int __init setup_text_poke_area(void)
+int __init poking_init(void)
@@ -85,7 +82,6 @@ static int __init setup_text_poke_area(void)
* This can be called for kernel text or a module.
More information about the Linuxppc-dev