Advice needed on SMP regression after cpu_core_mask change

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Mar 22 14:16:13 AEDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 01:05:21PM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > -smp 8,maxcpus=8,cores=4,threads=2,sockets=1
> > > -numa node,memdev=mem0,cpus=0-3,nodeid=0 \
> > > -numa node,memdev=mem1,cpus=4-7,nodeid=1 \
> > >

> > > This is the result:
> > >
> > > # lscpu
> > > Architecture:        ppc64le
> > > Byte Order:          Little Endian
> > > CPU(s):              8
> > > On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
> > > Thread(s) per core:  2
> > > Core(s) per socket:  2
> > > Socket(s):           2
> > > NUMA node(s):        2
> > > Model:               2.2 (pvr 004e 1202)
> > > Model name:          POWER9 (architected), altivec supported
> > > Hypervisor vendor:   KVM
> > > Virtualization type: para
> > > L1d cache:           32K
> > > L1i cache:           32K
> > > NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0-3
> > > NUMA node1 CPU(s):   4-7
> > >

> > > This confirms my suspicions that, at this moment, we're making sockets == NUMA nodes.
> >
> > Yes. I don't think we can do better on PAPR and the above examples
> > seem to confirm that the "sockets" definition is simply ignored.
> > > Cedric, the reason I'm CCing you is because this is related to ibm,chip-id. The commit
> > > after the one that caused the regression, 4ca234a9cbd7c3a65 ("powerpc/smp: Stop updating
> > > cpu_core_mask"), is erasing the code that calculated cpu_core_mask. cpu_core_mask, despite
> > > its shortcomings that caused its removal, was giving a precise SMP topology. And it was
> > > using physical_package_id/'ibm,chip-id' for that.
> >
> > ibm,chip-id is a no-no on pSeries. I guess this is inherent to PAPR which
> > is hiding a lot of the underlying HW and topology. May be we are trying
> > to reconcile two orthogonal views of machine virtualization ...
> >
> > > Checking in QEMU I can say that the ibm,chip-id calculation is the only place in the code
> > > that cares about cores per socket information. The kernel is now ignoring that, starting
> > > on 4bce545903fa, and now QEMU is unable to provide this info to the guest.
> > >
> > > If we're not going to use ibm,chip-id any longer, which seems sensible given that PAPR does
> > > not declare it, we need another way of letting the guest know how much cores per socket
> > > we want.
> > The RTAS call "ibm,get-system-parameter" with token "Processor Module
> > Information" returns that kind of information :
> >
> >    2 byte binary number (N) of module types followed by N module specifiers of the form:
> >    2 byte binary number (M) of sockets of this module type
> >    2 byte binary number (L) of chips per this module type
> >    2 byte binary number (K) of cores per chip in this module type.
> >
> > See the values in these sysfs files :
> >
> >    cat /sys/devices/hv_24x7/interface/{sockets,chipspersocket,coresperchip}
> >
> > But I am afraid these are host level information and not guest/LPAR.
>

> I believe there might be some sort of reasoning behind not having this on
> PAPR, but I'll say in advance that the virtual machine should act as the
> real hardware, as close as possible. This is the kind of hcall that could

In the case of POWER, that's pretty much a lost battle.  The
virtualization features of the CPU don't really permit full hardware
virtualization - it has to be a paravirtualized environment.  Once
that's the case, the value of keeping secondary things the same
between the bare metal and paravirt environments isn't that compelling
any more.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson