Advice needed on SMP regression after cpu_core_mask change

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb413 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 02:36:06 AEDT 2021

On 3/18/21 10:42 AM, Srikar Dronamraju wrote:
> * Daniel Henrique Barboza <danielhb413 at gmail.com> [2021-03-17 10:00:34]:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Patch 4bce545903fa ("powerpc/topology: Update topology_core_cpumask") introduced
>> a regression in both upstream and RHEL downstream kernels [1]. The assumption made
>> in the commit:
>>
>> "Further analysis shows that cpu_core_mask and cpu_cpu_mask for any CPU would be
>> equal on Power"
>>
>> Doesn't seem to be true. After this commit, QEMU is now unable to set single NUMA
>> node SMP topologies such as:
>>
>> -smp 8,maxcpus=8,cores=2,threads=2,sockets=2
>
> What does it mean for a NUMA to have more than one sockets?
> If they are all part of the same node, there are at local distance to each
> other. cache is per core. So what resources are shared by the Sockets that
> are part of the same NUMA. And how does Userspace/ application make use of
> the same.

Honestly, I sympathize with the idea that multiple sockets in the same NUMA
node being "weird". QEMU is accepting this kind of topology since forever
because we didn't pay attention to these other details.

I don't see any problems adding more constraints that makes sense in the
virtual layer, as long as the constraints make sense and are documented.
Putting multiple sockets in a single NUMA node seems like a fair restriction.

> Please don't mistake this as attempt to downplay your report but a honest
> attempt to better understand the situation.

It's cool. Ask away.

> For example, if the socket denotes the hemisphere logic in P10, then can we
> see if the coregroup feature can be used. "Coregroup" is suppose to mean a
> set of cores within a NUMA that have some characteristics and there can be
> multiple coregroups within a NUMA. We add that mostly to mimic hemisphere in
> P10. However the number of coregroups in a NUMA is not exported to userspace
> at this time.

I see. I thought that the presence of the hemispheres inside the chip would
justify more than one NUMA node inside the chip, meaning that a chip/socket
would have more than one NUMA nodes inside of it.

If that's not the case then I guess socket == NUMA node is still valid in
P10 as well. The last 'lscpu' example I gave here, claiming that this would
be a Power10 scenario, doesn't represent P10 after all.

> However if each Socket is associated with a memory and node distance, then
> should they be NUMA?
>
> Can you provide me with the unique ibm,chip-ids in your 2 NUMA, 4 node case?
> Does this cause an performance issues with the guest/application?

I can fetch some values, but we're trying to move out of it since it's not on the
pseries spec (PAPR). Perhaps with these restrictions we can live without
ibm,chip-id in QEMU.

> Till your report, I was under the impression that NUMAs == Sockets.

After reading and discussing about it, I think the sensible thing to do is to
put this same constraint in QEMU.

In theory it would be nice to let the virtual machine to have whatever topology it
wants, multiple sockets in the same NUMA domain and so on, but in the end we're
emulating Power hardware. If Power hardware - and the powerpc kernel - operates
under these assumptions, then I don't see much point into allowing users to
set unrealistic virtual CPU topologies that will be misrepresented in the
kernel.

I'll try this restriction in QEMU and see how upstream kernel behaves, with
and without ibm,chip-id being advertised in the DT.

Thanks,

DHB