Errant readings on LM81 with T2080 SoC

Chris Packham Chris.Packham at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Mar 15 08:26:15 AEDT 2021

On 12/03/21 10:25 pm, David Laight wrote:
> [...]
For those following along the spec is available here[0]. I know there's
a 3.0 version[1] as well but the devices I'm dealing with are from a 2.0
vintage.
> While basically a clock+data bit-bang the slave is allowed to drive
> the clock low to extend a cycle.
> It may be allowed to do this at any point?
 From what I can see it's actually the master extending the clock. Or
more accurately holding it low between the address and data bytes (which
from the T2080 reference manual looks expected). I think this may cause
a strictly compliant SMBUS device to determine that Tlow:mext has been
violated.
> The master can generate the data at almost any rate (below the maximum)
> but I don't think it can go down to zero.
> But I do remember one of the specs having a timeout.
>
> But I'd have thought the slave should answer the cycle correctly
> regardless of any 'random' delays the master adds in.
Probably depends on the device implementation. I've got multiple other
I2C/SMBUS devices and the LM81 seems to be the one that objects.

[0] - http://www.smbus.org/specs/smbus20.pdf
[1] - https://pmbus.org/Assets/PDFS/Public/SMBus_3_0_20141220.pdf