[powerpc][next-20210621] WARNING at kernel/sched/fair.c:3277 during boot

Sachin Sant sachinp at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jun 24 02:45:59 AEST 2021

> Ok. This becomes even more weird. Could you share your config file and more details about
> you setup ?
>
> Have you applied the patch below ?
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210621174330.11258-1-vincent.guittot@linaro.org/
>
> Regarding the load_avg warning, I can see possible problem during attach. Could you add
> the patch below. The load_avg warning seems to happen during boot and sched_entity
> creation.

Here is a summary of my testing.

I have a POWER box with PowerVM hypervisor. On this box I have a logical partition(LPAR) or guest
(allocated with 32 cpus 90G memory) running linux-next.

I started with a clean slate.
Moved to linux-next 5.13.0-rc7-next-20210622 as base code.
Applied patch #1 from Vincent which contains changes to dequeue_load_avg()
Applied patch #2 from Vincent which contains changes to enqueue_load_avg()
Applied patch #3 from Vincent which contains changes to attach_entity_load_avg()
Applied patch #4 from https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210621174330.11258-1-vincent.guittot@linaro.org/

With these changes applied I was still able to recreate the issue. I could see kernel warning
during boot.

I then applied patch #5 from Odin which contains changes to update_cfs_rq_load_avg()

With all the 5 patches applied I was able to boot the kernel without any warning messages.
I also ran scheduler related tests from ltp (./runltp -f sched) . All tests including cfs_bandwidth01
ran successfully. No kernel warnings were observed.

Have also attached .config in case it is useful. config has CONFIG_HZ_100=y

Thanks
-Sachin