ibmvnic: Race condition in remove callback

Dany Madden drt at linux.ibm.com
Wed Jan 20 05:14:25 AEDT 2021

On 2021-01-17 02:12, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while working on some cleanup I stumbled over a problem in the
> ibmvnic's
> remove callback. Since commit
>
>         7d7195a026ba ("ibmvnic: Do not process device remove during
> device reset")
>
> there is the following code in the remove callback:
>
>         static int ibmvnic_remove(struct vio_dev *dev)
>         {
>                 spin_lock_irqsave(&adapter->state_lock, flags);
>                 if (test_bit(0, &adapter->resetting)) {
>                         spin_unlock_irqrestore(&adapter->state_lock,
> flags);
>                         return -EBUSY;
>                 }
>
>                 adapter->state = VNIC_REMOVING;
>                 spin_unlock_irqrestore(&adapter->state_lock, flags);
>
>                 flush_work(&adapter->ibmvnic_reset);
>                 flush_delayed_work(&adapter->ibmvnic_delayed_reset);
>         }
>
> Unfortunately returning -EBUSY doesn't work as intended. That's because
> the return value of this function is ignored[1] and the device is
> considered unbound by the device core (shortly) after ibmvnic_remove()
> returns.

Oh! I was not aware of this. In our code review, a question on whether
or not device reset should have a higher precedence over device remove
was raised before. So, now it is clear that this driver has to take care
of remove over reset.

> While looking into fixing that I noticed a worse problem:
>
> If ibmvnic_reset() (e.g. called by the tx_timeout callback) calls
> schedule_work(&adapter->ibmvnic_reset); just after the work queue is
> flushed above the problem that 7d7195a026ba intends to fix will trigger
> resulting in a use-after-free.

It was proposed that when coming into ibmvnic_remove() we lock down the
workqueue to prevent future access, flush, cleanup, then unregister the
device. Your thought on this?

> Also ibmvnic_reset() checks for adapter->state without holding the lock
> which might be racy, too.

Suka started addressing consistent locking with this patch series:
https://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2021/01/08/89

He is reworking this.

> Best regards
> Uwe

Thank you for taking the time to review this driver, Uwe. This is very
helpful for us.

Best Regards,
Dany