[RFC 02/32] Kconfig: introduce HAS_IOPORT option and select it as necessary

Niklas Schnelle schnelle at linux.ibm.com
Fri Dec 31 22:28:23 AEDT 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-30 at 16:44 +1300, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Arnd,
>
> Am 30.12.2021 um 14:48 schrieb Arnd Bergmann:
---8<---

> > What some other architectures do is to rely on inb()/outb() to have a
> > zero-based offset, and use an io_offset in PCI buses to ensure that a
> > low port number on the bus gets translated into a pointer value for the
> > virtual mapping in the kernel, which is then represented as an unsigned
> > int.
>
> M54xx does just that for Coldfire:
>
> arch/m68k/include/asm/io_no.h:
> #define PCI_IO_PA	0xf8000000		/* Host physical address */
>
> (used to set PCI BAR mappings, so matches your definition above).
>
> All other (MMU) m68k users of inb()/outb() apply an io_offset in the
> platform specific address translation:

---8<---
> So as long as support for any of the m68k PCI or ISA bridges is selected
> in the kernel config, the appropriate IO space mapping is applied. If no
> support for PCI or ISA bridges is selected, we already fall back to zero
> offset mapping (but as far as I can tell, it shouldn't be possible to
> build a kernel without bridge support but drivers that require it).
>
> > As this is indistinguishable from architectures that just don't have
> > a base address for I/O ports (we unfortunately picked 0 as the default
> > PCI_IOBASE value), my suggestion was to start marking architectures
> > that may have this problem as using HAS_IOPORT in order to keep
> > the existing behavior unchanged. If m68k does not suffer from this,
> > making HAS_IOPORT conditional on those config options that actually
> > need it would of course be best.
>
> Following your description, HAS_IOPORT would be required for neither of
> PCI, ISA or ATARI_ROM_ISA ??

No, HAS_IOPORT being set just means that inb() etc. exist and are
functional be it as special instructions like on x86 or via an I/O
address offset. As I understand it if you do have PCI, ISA or
ATARI_ROM_ISA they are functional. If none of them are set and your
zero offset mapping means these accessors can't actually be used you
could make the declerations ifdeffed on CONFIG_HAS_IOPORT to detect the
cases where somone managed to build drivers that require them and that
would result in a compile time error instead of silently, or with a
NULL pointer warning, compiling code that won't work.