[RFC 02/32] Kconfig: introduce HAS_IOPORT option and select it as necessary

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Thu Dec 30 12:48:23 AEDT 2021

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 11:15 PM Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 29.12.2021 um 16:41 schrieb Arnd Bergmann:
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 8:20 PM Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd hope not - we spent some effort to make sure setting ATARI_ROM_ISA
> does not affect other m68k platforms when e.g. building multiplatform
> kernels.

Ok

> Replacing inb() by readb() without any address translation won't do much
> good for m68k though - addresses in the traditional ISA I/O port range
> would hit the (unmapped) zero page.

Correct, this is exactly the problem that Niklas is trying to solve here:
we do have drivers that hit this bug, and on s390 clang actually produces
a compile-time error for drivers that cause a NULL pointer dereference
this way.

What some other architectures do is to rely on inb()/outb() to have a
zero-based offset, and use an io_offset in PCI buses to ensure that a
low port number on the bus gets translated into a pointer value for the
virtual mapping in the kernel, which is then represented as an unsigned
int.

As this is indistinguishable from architectures that just don't have
a base address for I/O ports (we unfortunately picked 0 as the default
PCI_IOBASE value), my suggestion was to start marking architectures
that may have this problem as using HAS_IOPORT in order to keep
the existing behavior unchanged. If m68k does not suffer from this,
making HAS_IOPORT conditional on those config options that actually
need it would of course be best.

         Arnd