Fail to boot 5.15 on mpc8347 with either debug_pagealloc or nobats

Maxime Bizon mbizon at freebox.fr
Mon Dec 6 08:44:08 AEDT 2021

On Sunday 05 Dec 2021 à 18:11:59 (+0000), Christophe Leroy wrote:

> > Is BAT5 needed here ?
>
> Sure it is, because that's were kernel expects lowmem to be mapped.
> Allthough the kernel will unlikely access the 128M reserved for KASAN
> directly, the other 128M are still needed.

Yes that was my point

I'm wondering if for specific PAGE_OFFSET values, __mmu_mapin_ram()
ends using a BAT to map exactly the KASAN area, thus wasting it
because the kernel would never/rarely access it.

Or worse, it could consume the latest BAT available, and there would
be none left for the actual KASAN vm area

Maybe mmu_mapin_ram() could clamp top to KASAN phys start.

--
Maxime