PPC_FPU, ALTIVEC: enable_kernel_fp, put_vr, get_vr

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Mon Apr 19 23:16:18 AEST 2021

Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at infradead.org> writes:
> On 4/18/21 10:46 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as I understand, Altivec is completely independant of FPU in Theory.
>>
>> And, as far as the hardware is concerned, in practice as well.
>>
>>> So it should be possible to use Altivec without using FPU.
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>>> However, until recently, it was not possible to de-activate FPU support on
>>> book3s/32. I made it possible in order to reduce unneccessary processing on
>>> processors like the 832x that has no FPU.
>>
>> The processor has to implement FP to be compliant to any version of
>> PowerPC, as far as I know?  So that is all done by emulation, including
>> all the registers?  Wow painful.
>>
>>> As far as I can see in cputable.h/.c, 832x is the only book3s/32 without
>>> FPU, and it doesn't have ALTIVEC either.
>>
>> 602 doesn't have double-precision hardware, also no 64-bit FP registers.
>> But that CPU was never any widely used :-)
>>
>>> So we can in the future ensure that Altivec can be used without FPU
>>> support, but for the time being I think it is OK to force selection of FPU
>>> when selecting ALTIVEC in order to avoid build failures.
>>
>> It is useful to allow MSR[VEC,FP]=1,0 but yeah there are no CPUs that
>> have VMX (aka AltiVec) but that do not have FP.  I don't see how making
>> that artificial dependency buys anything, but maybe it does?

>> Neither do we, we cannot see those patches :-)
>
> Sure.  I'll post them later today.
> They keep FPU and ALTIVEC as independent (build) features.

Those patches look OK.

But I don't think it makes sense to support that configuration, FPU=n
ALTVEC=y. No one is ever going to make a CPU like that. We have enough
testing surface due to configuration options, without adding artificial
combinations that no one is ever going to use.

IMHO :)

So I'd rather we just make ALTIVEC depend on FPU.

cheers