[RFC/PATCH] powerpc/smp: Add SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES flag to MC sched-domain

Gautham R Shenoy ego at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 14 17:02:46 AEST 2021

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 06:33:55PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:

> > > I would say that SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES is there for that and doesn't
> > > only rely on cache
> > >

> > From topology.c
> >
> > 	SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES - describes shared caches
> >
> > I'm guessing here because I am not familiar with power10 but the central
> > problem appears to be when to prefer selecting a CPU sharing L2 or L3
> > cache and the core assumes the last-level-cache is the only relevant one.
>
> It does not seem to be the case according to original description:

> This is the same as (b) Should this be SMT^^^ ?

On POWER10, without this patch, the LLC is at SMT sched-domain
domain. The difference between a) and b) is a) searches for an idle
core, while b) searches for an idle CPU.

> > For this patch, I wondered if setting SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES would have
> > unintended consequences for load balancing because load within a die may
> > not be spread between SMT4 domains if SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES was set at
> > the MC level.
>
> Not spreading load between SMT4 domains within MC is exactly what setting LLC
> at MC level would address, wouldn't it?
>
> As in on P10 we have two relevant levels but the topology as is describes only
> one, and moving the LLC level lower gives two levels the scheduler looks at
> again. Or am I missing something?

This is my current understanding as well, since with this patch we
would then be able to move tasks quickly between the SMT4 cores,
perhaps at the expense of losing out on cache-affinity. Which is why
it would be good to verify this using a test/benchmark.

--
Thanks and Regards
gautham.