[powerpc:next-test] BUILD REGRESSION 3ac6488df9160f52bbd8b8ec3387a53ac3d0f2eb

Christophe Leroy christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu
Fri Apr 9 15:01:01 AEST 2021

Le 09/04/2021 à 04:28, kernel test robot a écrit :
> tree/branch: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux.git next-test
> branch HEAD: 3ac6488df9160f52bbd8b8ec3387a53ac3d0f2eb  powerpc/xive: Modernize XIVE-IPI domain with an 'alloc' handler
>
> Error/Warning reports:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linuxppc-dev/202104090230.ACwnO03u-lkp@intel.com
> https://lore.kernel.org/linuxppc-dev/202104090827.jH0WBiCC-lkp@intel.com
>
> Error/Warning in current branch:
>
> include/linux/compiler_types.h:320:38: error: call to '__compiletime_assert_171' declared with attribute error: BUILD_BUG_ON failed: TASK_SIZE > MODULES_VADDR

As I pointed in the report, this is because the rand config has set TASK_SIZE to 0xc0000000 without
changing PAGE_OFFSET. Therefore there is no space inbetween for the 256Mbytes segment for modules.
It is too complex to guard this inside the Kconfig, that's the reason why we have a BUILD_BUG_ON().

There was already a similar kind of build test to make sure TASK_SIZE is not greater than KERNEL_START.