remove the last set_fs() in common code, and remove it for x86 and powerpc v3

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 10 07:33:36 AEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:42 AM Segher Boessenkool
<segher at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> It will not work like this in GCC, no.  The LLVM people know about that.
> I do not know why they insist on pushing this, being incompatible and
> everything.

Umm. Since they'd be the ones supporting this, *gcc* would be the
incompatible one, not clang.

Like it or not, clang is becoming a major kernel compiler. It's
already basically used for all android uses afaik.

So I'd phrase it differently. If gcc is planning on doing some
different model for asm goto with outputs, that would be the
incompatible case.

I'm not sure how gcc could do it differently. The only possible
difference I see is

 (a) not doing it at all

 (b) doing the "all goto targets have the outputs" case

and honestly, (b) is actually inferior for the error cases, even if to
a compiler person it might feel like the "RightThing(tm)" to do.
Because when an exception happens, the outputs simply won't be
initialized.

Anyway, for either of those cases, the kernel won't care either way.
We'll have to support the non-goto case for many years even if
everybody were to magically implement it today, so it's not like this
is a "you have to do it" thing.

           Linus