C vdso

Christophe Leroy christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu
Sat Oct 24 22:16:21 AEDT 2020

Le 24/10/2020 à 12:07, Michael Ellerman a écrit :
> Michael Ellerman <mpe at ellerman.id.au> writes:
>> Christophe Leroy <christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu> writes:

>>> What config are you using ?
>>
>> ppc64_defconfig + guest.config
>>
>> Or pseries_defconfig.
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu GCC 9.3.0 mostly, but it happens with other toolchains too.
>
> I'm also seeing warnings because of the feature fixups:
>

> That's happening because the 32-bit VDSO is built with CONFIG_PPC32=y,
> due to config-fake32.h, and that causes the feature fixup entries to be
> the wrong size.
>
> See the logic in feature-fixup.h:
>

> We expect the fixup entries to still use 64-bit values, even for the
> 32-bit VDSO in a 64-bit kernel.
>
> TBH I'm not sure how config-fake32.h can work long term, it's so fragile
> to be defining/redefining a handful of CONFIG symbols like that.

I took the idea from mips (arch/mips/vdso/config-n32-o32-env.c) after struggling in different
direction. At that time the generic VDSO code was far less careful and was including several linux
headers IIRC.
I agree with you that it's rather fragile.

> The generic VDSO code is fairly careful to only include uapi and vdso
> headers, not linux ones. So I think we need to better split our headers
> so that we can build the VDSO code with few or no linux headers, and so
> avoid the need to define any (or most) CONFIG symbols.

I'll revisit it when I'm back from vacation (I'm leaving now for two weeks).

Christophe