[RFC 00/11] perf: Enhancing perf to export processor hazard information

maddy maddy at linux.ibm.com
Thu Mar 26 21:19:16 AEDT 2020

On 3/18/20 11:05 PM, Kim Phillips wrote:
> [...]
> OK, I see relevant PERF_MEM_S bits in arch/powerpc/perf/isa207-common.c:
> isa207_find_source now, thanks.
>
>>> For IBS, I see PERF_SAMPLE_ADDR and PERF_SAMPLE_PHYS_ADDR can be
>>> used for the ld/st target addresses, too.

>>> Latency figures are just an example, and from what I
>>> can tell, struct perf_sample_data already has a 'weight' member,
>>> used with PERF_SAMPLE_WEIGHT, that is used by intel-pt to
>>> transfer memory access latency figures.  Granted, that's
>>> a bad name given all other vendors don't call latency
>>> 'weight'.
>>>
>>> I didn't see any latency figures coming out of POWER9,
>>> and do not expect this patchseries to implement those
>>> of other vendors, e.g., AMD's IBS; leave each vendor
>>> to amend perf to suit their own h/w output please.
>> Reference structure proposed in this patchset did not have members
>> to capture latency info for that exact reason. But idea here is to
>> abstract  as vendor specific as possible. So if we include u16 array,
>> then this format can also capture data from IBS since it provides
>> few latency details.
> OK, that sounds a bit different from the 6 x u8's + 1 u16 padded
> struct presented in this patchset.
>
> IBS Ops can report e.g.:
>
> 15 tag-to-retire cycles bits,
> 15 completion to retire count bits,
> 15 L1 DTLB refill latency bits,
> 15 DC miss latency bits,
> 5 outstanding memory requests on mem refill bits, and so on.
>
> IBS Fetch reports 15 bits of fetch latency, and another 16
> for iTLB latency, among others.
>
> Some of these may/may not be valid simultaneously, and
> there are IBS specific rules to establish validity.
>
>>> My main point there, however, was that each vendor should
>>> use streamlined record-level code to just copy the data
>>> in the proprietary format that their hardware produces,
>>> and then then perf tooling can synthesize the events
>>> from the raw data at report/script/etc. time.

>>> SAMPLE_AUX shouldn't care whether the volume is large, or how frequent
>>> PMIs are, even though it may be used in those environments.

>>> And that's fine for any extra bits that POWER9 has to convey
>>> to its users beyond things already represented by other sample
>>> types like PERF_SAMPLE_DATA_SRC, but the capturing of both POWER9
>>> and other vendor e.g., AMD IBS data can be made vendor-independent
>>> at record time by using SAMPLE_AUX, or SAMPLE_RAW even, which is
>>> what IBS currently uses.
>> My bad. Not sure what you mean by this. We are trying to abstract
>> as much vendor specific data as possible with this (like perf-mem).
> Perhaps if I say it this way: instead of doing all the
> isa207_get_phazard_data() work past the mfspr(SPRN_SIER)
> in patch 4/11, rather/instead just put the raw sier value in a
> PERF_SAMPLE_RAW or _AUX event, and call perf_event_update_userpage.
> Specific SIER capabilities can be written as part of the perf.data
> header.  Then synthesize the true pipe events from the raw SIER

Hi Kim,

Would like to stay away from SAMPLE_RAW type for these comments in
perf_events.h

*      #
*      # The RAW record below is opaque data wrt the ABI
*      #
*      # That is, the ABI doesn't make any promises wrt to
*      # the stability of its content, it may vary depending
*      # on event, hardware, kernel version and phase of
*      # the moon.
*      #
*      # In other words, PERF_SAMPLE_RAW contents are not an ABI.
*      #

Secondly, sorry I didn't understand your suggestion about using
PERF_SAMPLE_AUX.
IIUC, SAMPLE_AUX will go to AUX ring buffer, which is more memory and more
challenging when correlating and presenting the pipeline details for
each IP.
IMO, having a new sample type can be useful to capture the pipeline data
both in perf_sample_data and if _AUX is enabled, can be made to push to
AUX buffer.

Maddy