[patch V2 08/15] Documentation: Add lock ordering and nesting documentation

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Sat Mar 21 09:36:03 AEDT 2020

"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at kernel.org> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 08:51:44PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at kernel.org> writes:
>> >
>> >  - The soft interrupt related suffix (_bh()) still disables softirq
>> >    handlers.  However, unlike non-PREEMPT_RT kernels (which disable
>> >    preemption to get this effect), PREEMPT_RT kernels use a per-CPU
>> >    lock to exclude softirq handlers.
>>
>> I've made that:
>>
>>   - The soft interrupt related suffix (_bh()) still disables softirq
>>     handlers.
>>
>>     Non-PREEMPT_RT kernels disable preemption to get this effect.
>>
>>     PREEMPT_RT kernels use a per-CPU lock for serialization. The lock
>>     disables softirq handlers and prevents reentrancy by a preempting
>>     task.
>
> That works!  At the end, I would instead say "prevents reentrancy
> due to task preemption", but what you have works.

Yours is better.

>>    - Task state is preserved across spinlock acquisition, ensuring that the
>>      task-state rules apply to all kernel configurations.  Non-PREEMPT_RT
>>      kernels leave task state untouched.  However, PREEMPT_RT must change
>>      task state if the task blocks during acquisition.  Therefore, it
>>      saves the current task state before blocking and the corresponding
>>      lock wakeup restores it. A regular not lock related wakeup sets the
>>      task state to RUNNING. If this happens while the task is blocked on
>>      a spinlock then the saved task state is changed so that correct
>>      state is restored on lock wakeup.
>>
>> Hmm?
>
> I of course cannot resist editing the last two sentences:
>
>    ... Other types of wakeups unconditionally set task state to RUNNING.
>    If this happens while a task is blocked while acquiring a spinlock,
>    then the task state is restored to its pre-acquisition value at
>    lock-wakeup time.

Errm no. That would mean

     state = UNINTERRUPTIBLE
     lock()
       block()
         real_state = state
         state = SLEEPONLOCK

                               non lock wakeup
                                 state = RUNNING    <--- FAIL #1

                               lock wakeup
                                 state = real_state <--- FAIL #2

How it works is:

     state = UNINTERRUPTIBLE
     lock()
       block()
         real_state = state
         state = SLEEPONLOCK

                               non lock wakeup
                                 real_state = RUNNING

                               lock wakeup
                                 state = real_state == RUNNING

If there is no 'non lock wakeup' before the lock wakeup:

     state = UNINTERRUPTIBLE
     lock()
       block()
         real_state = state
         state = SLEEPONLOCK

                               lock wakeup
                                 state = real_state == UNINTERRUPTIBLE

I agree that what I tried to express is hard to parse, but it's at least
halfways correct :)

Thanks,

        tglx