[musl] Re: ppc64le and 32-bit LE userland compatibility

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:09:38 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:58 PM Segher Boessenkool
<segher at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 01:26:37AM +0200, Daniel Kolesa wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, at 23:28, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > Are you sure this would be a new port? Glibc already works in this combination, as it seems to me it'd be best if it was just a variant of the existing 32-bit PowerPC port, sharing most conventions besides endianness with the BE port.
>
> That's right.  Except it isn't an "official" existing port, never has
> been "officially" supported.
>
> > 128-bit IEEE long double would not work, since that relies on VSX being present (gcc will explicitly complain if it's not). I'd be all for using 64-bit long double, though (musl already does, on all ppc ports).
>
> The current IEEE QP float support requires VSX for its emulation, yes
> (possibly even Power8?) ...

I believe Steven Munroe has an implementation that includes emulation
for lesser POWER architectures at
https://github.com/munroesj52/pveclib. If I am not mistaken, Munroe 's
library supports back to POWER7.

Modern GCC is fine. Clang has problems because it lacks support for
ISO/IEC TS 18661 or N2341
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2341.pdf).

Jeff