[v3 13/15] tools/perf: Add perf tools support for extended register capability in powerpc

Ravi Bangoria ravi.bangoria at linux.ibm.com
Fri Jul 24 21:02:08 AEST 2020

Hi Athira,

On 7/17/20 8:08 PM, Athira Rajeev wrote:
> From: Anju T Sudhakar <anju at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>
> Add extended regs to sample_reg_mask in the tool side to use
> with `-I?` option. Perf tools side uses extended mask to display
> the platform supported register names (with -I? option) to the user
> and also send this mask to the kernel to capture the extended registers
> in each sample. Hence decide the mask value based on the processor
> version.
>
> Currently definitions for `mfspr`, `SPRN_PVR` are part of
> `arch/powerpc/util/header.c`. Move this to a header file so that
> these definitions can be re-used in other source files as well.

It seems this patch has a regression.

Without this patch:

   $ sudo ./perf record -I
   ^C[ perf record: Woken up 1 times to write data ]
   [ perf record: Captured and wrote 0.458 MB perf.data (318 samples) ]

With this patch:

   $ sudo ./perf record -I
   Error:
   dummy:HG: PMU Hardware doesn't support sampling/overflow-interrupts. Try 'perf stat'

Ravi